How Do You Register a Nonresident Car in California?

The young man at the machine

Have you just moved to the great state of California? You might be wondering what you will have to do to register your vehicle. Before anything else, you will need to provide evidence that you are a resident of California and live in the state for more than six months out of the year. Luckily, there are a number of criteria that can be used to verify your residency. You can provide your place of business’s location, schools attended by your dependents, the address of your residence in California, your California driver’s license, or proof of payment of resident tuition to a California college or university.


When you go to the DMV to register your nonresident vehicle (a vehicle that was previously registered in a different state) be sure to have one of these criteria as well as other required documents specified by the DMV. Required documents include an out-of-state title, a verification of vehicle form, the last issued out-of-state registration certificate, and a completed application for title or registration form. You will also be required to pay any associated fees.


Once your vehicle is registered in California, you will be required to renew the registration every year and complete a smog check every year. For a more convenient renewal option, visit to take advantage of expedited registration renewal service the following year and avoid spending time in the DMV in the futur

Share onShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on RedditDigg thisShare on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *